The The Green Connection program offers a comprehensive approach to green community development that brings environmentally sound principles into practice by bridging innovative best practices with traditional building methods to anticipate the rapidly changing landscape of sustainable neighborhood building.
The Green Connection program offers a wide range of services to the San Francisco Bay Area region to support all affordable housing practitioners in making healthier and greener choices for the design and ongoing maintenance of both privately and publicly-held housing for low-income residents. Bay Area LISC firmly believes that green affordable housing is a key ingredient for fostering sustainable, resilient communities in ways that protect public health, conserve natural resources, and preserve the environment. Since LISC's official foray into energy efficiency and green in 2001 with the Energy Action program, we have expanded upon our 27-year history in the Bay Area of providing funding, comprehensive technical assistance, and training to include a suite of services addressing the growing need for project development in harmony with the natural environment. We've come a long way in seven years, and we are proud to offer tools, services, peer learning, workshops, technical assistance, financial incentives, and leadership in green affordable housing.
The following objectives reflect the comprehensive nature of the Green Connection program:
- Educate developers of new affordable housing and rehabilitation projects about green building principles and encourage the incorporation of these principles into project scopes
- Engage existing affordable housing properties in the process of incorporating green building into capital improvements and maintenance practices
- Provide funding for new affordable housing and rehabilitation projects to engage in the integrated green design process, leading to the production of cost-effective, green projects
- Facilitate the creation of sound public policies that enable affordable housing providers to green their properties
- Educate community developers on ways to utilize sustainable development practices with neighborhoods
Green Connection Loan Fund
The Green Connection Loan Fund provides nonprofit developers with preferred financing to help incorporate green, sustainable materials and design features into affordable housing. Loans of up to $250,000 are made to community development organizations with a strong commitment to sustainable building. Along with the loans, Green Connection provides technical assistance. Download a PDF version of the Green Connection Loan Fund description here or, for additional information, contact Senior Program Officer Peggy Jen at (415) 397-7322 x 16 or email@example.com. Bay Area LISC thanks Catholic Healthcare West for providing a $500,000 investment to help launch the fund.
Click on the links to download the following documents:
If you area interested in supporting or finding out more about Green Connection, please contact us today:
Bay Area LISC
369 Pine Street, Suite 350
San Francisco, CA 94104
Green Affordable Housing Coalition (GAHC): Partnership with Build It Green to bring together public-sector and private-sector professionals who are committed to incorporating green building practices into the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of affordable housing. For more information or to register for upcoming meetings, visit the GAHC website at: http://www.builditgreen.org/green-affordable